Thursday, November 29, 2018

When Life Doesn't Go As Planned...

In high school, my friends would always tell me, "You are going to be the first to get married and have children." In my mind, yes...that was going to happen. I would go to college, find the love of my life, have at least 4 children, and glorify God through marriage with my husband. All of this was supposed to happen before I turned 30, because you know that 30 is so old. 

2019 is the year that I turn 30. The things that I thought would be in place in my life are not even close to happening. Yet, the Lord knows the desires of my heart and I trust that whatever His plan is, it is much better than I could have ever planned. I read a short devotional recently that talked about Mary, the mother of Jesus. This is what stood out to me, "Mary had a complete change of expectations for the entire course of her life. In trust, she yielded herself, her dreams, her plans, her very body to the Lord; and then she celebrated in song the privilege of being used by Him in His kingdom plan." How true is this?! I don't know what Mary's "plan" was for her life, but I do know that it didn't involve being the mother to Jesus, the Savior of the world. 

Can I give up myself, my dreams, my plans, my everything to the Lord? Isn't that what He calls us to do anyways? Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." If Christ lives in me, my dreams and plans are not mine but are now His. Whatever my life turns out to be, it should be honoring and glorifying to God. Maybe the Lord's plans are not for me to marry and have children, but to wholeheartedly serve Him without the distraction of a husband and children. "The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband. And this I say for your own profit, not that I may put a leash on you, but for what is proper, and that you may serve the Lord without distraction." 1 Corinthians 7:34b-35

I know that the Lord's plans are much greater than my plans. He knows my heart and my dreams. He knows what is best. I have to trust in that and be thankful that He cares for what is best for me. 


"My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
48 
For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
49 
For He who is mighty has done great things for me,

And holy is His name."

Luke 1:46-49

1 comment: